Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Fear Factor


Matthew 14:27
New Living Translation (NLT)
But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here!”

Fear is the one emotion that can paralyze us and stop us from functioning normally in everyday life. Healthy fear serves a beneficial purpose but unhealthy fear can make us its slave.  What are some of the most common fears that people struggle with? According to surveys, they are: ghosts, the existence of evil powers, cockroaches, spiders, snakes, heights, clowns, water, enclosed spaces, tunnels and bridges, needles, social rejection, failure, examinations and public speaking. Psychologists say that people are born with two basic fears: fear of falling and fear of loud noises.

What about you? What are you afraid of? How do you react when you are fearful? I have been asking friends and clients lately, what they are afraid of. Wow! There are a lot of people with a lot of fears and they don’t have to think about it very long to come up with a response!

Over and over again, God tells us in His Word, not to be afraid. Any time that an angel appears on the scene, the first thing they say is “Don’t be afraid!”. The most common command from Jesus was “fear not”. Out of 125 commands, 21 of them urge us to “not be afraid” or “not to fear” or “have courage” or “take heart” of “be of good cheer”. The one statement he made more than others was, “Do not be afraid.”

Consider this writing of Max Lucado, “Fear never wrote a symphony or poem, negotiated a peace treaty, or cured a disease. Fear never pulled a family out of poverty or a country out of bigotry. Fear never saved a marriage or a business. Courage did that. Faith did that. People who refused to consult or cower to the timidities did that.  But fear itself? Fear herds us into a prison and slams the door.” 

Fear is meant to be a guardrail, not a roadblock. Fear is one emotion that can paralyze us and shut us down. Some roots of excessive fear are:
Dysfunctional patterns in families, Lack of protection during childhood, Worry, Generational fears, Traumatic experiences, and Demonic influences.

The disciples of Jesus were just as fearful as everyone else at that time. They were just as fearful as we are today. Look at how Peter denied even knowing Jesus three times. Who hung around at the crucifixion with Jesus? Only a few women and one disciple named John. Everyone else bailed on him. Why? Their hearts were filled with fear. Their world had been turned upside down.  They were terrified. Can you relate?

Yet, after the crucifixion, death, burial, resurrection and ascension of Jesus, this fear-filled group of disciples became warriors. How? Maybe there is hope for us?! Something called Pentecost happened and something Jesus had promised arrived: the gift of the Holy Spirit. They were transformed and life was never the same.
Acts 1:8 says, “But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes upon you.”

There is an antidote to our fear. If we trust God more, we can fear less.
The closer we get to God, the more fear will dissipate. In I John 4:18 we read, “There is no fear in love; but perfect love casts out fear…”
Whenever Jesus encountered trials and temptations, he quoted Scripture to combat the attack. Below are just a few encouraging Scriptures and then a couple of suggested prayers to help you.

Scripture and Prayers to combat Fear

Matthew 10:31
New Living Translation (NLT)
31 So don’t be afraid; you are more valuable to God than a whole flock of sparrows.

Matthew 6:25
New Living Translation (NLT)
25 “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing?

Matthew 14:27
New Living Translation (NLT)
27 But Jesus spoke to them at once. “Don’t be afraid,” he said. “Take courage. I am here![a]

Matthew 10:28
New Living Translation (NLT)
28 “Don’t be afraid of those who want to kill your body; they cannot touch your soul. Fear only God, who can destroy both soul and body in hell.[a]
John 14 Jesus, the Way to the Father  1“Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. 2 There is more than enough room in my Father’s home.[a] If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?[b] 3 When everything is ready, I will come and get you, so that you will always be with me where I am.
John 14:27
New Living Translation (NLT)
27 “I am leaving you with a gift—peace of mind and heart. And the peace I give is a gift the world cannot give. So don’t be troubled or afraid.
Matthew 24:6
New Living Translation (NLT)
6 And you will hear of wars and threats of wars, but don’t panic.
Matthew 17:7
New Living Translation (NLT)
7 Then Jesus came over and touched them. “Get up,” he said. “Don’t be afraid.”
Matthew 28:20
New Living Translation (NLT)
20 Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
Matthew 6:25-27
New Living Translation (NLT)
25 “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food and drink, or enough clothes to wear. Isn’t life more than food, and your body more than clothing? 26 Look at the birds. They don’t plant or harvest or store food in barns, for your heavenly Father feeds them. And aren’t you far more valuable to him than they are? 27 Can all your worries add a single moment to your life?
Romans 8:38
New Living Translation (NLT)
38 And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from God’s love. Neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons,[a] neither our fears for today nor our worries about tomorrow—not even the powers of hell can separate us from God’s love.
2 Timothy 1:7
New Living Translation (NLT)
7 For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.

2 Timothy 4:18
The Message (MSG)
God's looking after me, keeping me safe in the kingdom of heaven. All praise to him, praise forever! Oh, yes!
Luke 12
New Living Translation (NLT) 22 Then, turning to his disciples, Jesus said, “That is why I tell you not to worry about everyday life—whether you have enough food to eat or enough clothes to wear. 29 “And don’t be concerned about what to eat and what to drink. Don’t worry about such things. 30 These things dominate the thoughts of unbelievers all over the world, but your Father already knows your needs. 31 Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and he will give you everything you need. 32 “So don’t be afraid, little flock. For it gives your Father great happiness to give you the Kingdom.
Psalm 23:6
New Living Translation (NLT)
6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord
forever.
Psalm 27:3
New Living Translation (NLT)
3 Though a mighty army surrounds me,
my heart will not be afraid. Even if I am attacked,
I will remain confident.
Proverbs 19:23
New Living Translation (NLT)
23 Fear of the Lord leads to life,
bringing security and protection from harm.
Isaiah 41:10
New Living Translation (NLT)
10 Don’t be afraid, for I am with you.
Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you.
I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.
Prayers to renounce fear (from “Bondage Breaker” by Dr. Neil Anderson)
“Dear heavenly Father, I confess to You that I have listened to the devil’s roar and have allowed fear to master me. I have not always walked by faith in You but instead have focused on my feelings and circumstances. Thank You for forgiving me for my unbelief. Right now I renounce the spirit of fear and affirm the truth that You have not given me a spirit of fear but of power, love and a sound mind. Lord, please reveal to my mind now all the fears that have been controlling me so I can renounce them and be free to walk by faith in You. I thank You for the freedom You give me to walk by faith and not by fear. In Jesus’ powerful name, I pray. Amen.”
“Dear heavenly Father, I thank You that You are trustworthy. I choose to believe You, even when my feelings and circumstances tell me to fear. You have told me not to fear, for You are with me; to not anxiously look about me, for You are my God. You will strengthen me, help me, and surely uphold me with Your righteous right hand. I pray this with faith in the name of Jesus my Master. Amen.”

No comments:

Post a Comment