Monday, February 7, 2011

A New Beginning

Welcome to the blog and release of The Prayer Institute website! Glad you stopped by. A few years ago, I was having a cup of Earl Grey tea with my friend and prayer mentor, Tim Jones (who is a UMC pastor but more commonly known as “Pastor Tim” by college students all over), when Tim shared that he thought the Lord wanted me to develop a website. We agreed it sounded like a good idea and decided to pray about it some more.
Over three years later, one day in prayer, I heard the Lord speak to my heart these words, “The Prayer Institute”. It made good sense to me since I had spent the last several years trying to learn more about prayer. My interest in prayer cranked up immensely when Sally, my former wife of 20 years, had been diagnosed with stage IV colon cancer. In the midst of surgeries, biopsies, chemo, radiation therapies and scans, we continued to seek the Lord for answers related to healing. In the midst of suffering we found what the Psalmist records as, “deep calls to deep”, unbelievable joy and measures of peace that were more than adequate for what we were facing. As we continued to pray with and for others, we regularly saw God work in miraculous ways, both in physical and emotional (inner) healing. The Lord chose to give Sally the ultimate healing in 2007.

Much to my surprise and far exceeding any desires or expectations I had, He blessed me with a new bride and a partner in ministry. Missy had been involved in ministry at Crossroads Christian Church in Lexington, KY. Crossroads has been gracious enough to allow me to put my passion for prayer and love for people into service. Presently, we have over 40 trained prayer ministers and the momentum for prayer continues to grow.

The need for prayer, and the freedom it brings, is just as relevant today as it was when Jesus Christ popped up on the scene. This was His mission statement: ““The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. 
He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free, to proclaim the year of the Lord’s favor.” Luke 4:18,19 (NIV).

It is so exciting to see Christ at work today and I am thrilled to play a small part in the story that is unfolding. People are hearing the good news that God loves them, they are being released from the prison of guilt and shame, and set free from things that have kept them down for years, no longer blinded by the lies of the Enemy.

If you want to talk over any of these things or explore how I may be of help to you, your small group or church, let me know. Send me an email or let’s meet for a cup of tea sometime and talk about it.



1 comment:

  1. On the road 170 days a year. This could be a great help to a fellow believer who needs a place to connect.
    Joe Castillo

    ReplyDelete